Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Stitch In Time - By Prasad Dhumane

Time, money and energy all are lost due to just simple things not being taken care of at the right time. A stitch in time saves nine.

Sandip stumbled over something in the dark and hurt himself.
“Oh my god! What was that? I seem to have stumbled over and broken the bottle of the cough syrup. Who kept in the way like this nonsense? All the medicine is lost now. And moreover I hurt myself too.”
“Make sure that you keep your eyes open while walking and stop complaining.” Sandip’s wife, Rakhi answered back.
“What?” Sandip was flabbergasted at what his wife said. Instead of helping him she was retorting back at him. “So, you are expecting me to see in the dark, uh? Do you think I have got any supernatural vision? Get the matchbox and light the lantern.”
“That’s what I am finding.” Rakhi said while groping in the dark.
“Finding? You don’t know where you have kept it? All women are of a kind. When will they learn to help their husbands, God knows.”
“What should I do after all? Should I look after the kids, do the household chores, or keep running after the things that you often misplace?” Rakhi said getting frustrated at her husband’s behavior. “You don’t know how to appreciate good things. You can spot the negative things only. I am frustrated by living with you.”
“And who wants to live with you anyway? Why don’t you get lost from my house?” Sandip said while lying down comfortably on the sofa.
Rakhi came with the lighted lantern in her hand. Her eyes fell on Sandip.
“Wow, Hubby dear, you are lying down comfortably and here I have to run after everything. You are a very good helping hand, good.”
“Then what do you think I should do in this dark? I cannot even see anything here. Do you think, I am a nocturnal animal?” Sandip shouted back at his wife.
“Aren’t you one? You know how to come home late in the nights and I also know the reasons for your late comings.”
Sandip did not say anything.
“Speak now, why are you quite? Is there anything to say now?” Rakhi demanded.
“This is my life and I will live it as I want. Di d you get it?”
And the argument continued. Such types of arguments are often heard in most of the houses. Simple works such as putting things in place are ignored and a spat becomes the order of the day.
A stitch in time saves nine, they say. But who cares? Keeping things in place is the most common problem in most households. Once the need of the thing is satisfied, it is considered as a stumbling block and is ‘thrown away’. The very same thing is then recalled when the need arises once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment